Welcome to the Neighbourhood Plan for Holwell village
The Holwell Neighbourhood Plan referendum was held on Thursday 7 February 2019. From an electorate of 302 there was a turnout of 133 (44.04%). The result; votes in favour 109 (81.95%) and votes against 24 (18.05%).
The plan will now proceed to Full Council on 26 February 2019 where a decision will be made on making the Holwell Neighbourhood Plan part of the development plan for the Holwell parish area.
Holwell Neighbourhood Plan Decision Statement
The final examiners report into the Holwell Neighbourhood Plan has been received and a decision has been made to enable the plan as modified to proceed to referendum. As set out in the decision statement attached, West Dorset District Council considered the recommendations contained in the examiner's report and agreed that the plan could proceed to referendum. The referendum will now be held on Thursday 7 February 2019 and will be held over the Holwell parish area.
- Decision Statement
- Referendum Letter
- Referendum Guide for Ward Members, Parish Councillors, Campaigners and Council Employees
For further information: https://www.dorsetforyou.gov.uk/holwell-neighbourhood-plan
Report on Holwell Neighbourhood Plan 2017 - 2031
An independent examiner Mr Andy Mead was appointed after the decision to submit the Neighbourhood Plan for examination. His examination report was released on 28 November 2018 with the recommendation that the Holwell Neighbourhood Plan, should proceed to referendum, subject to modification.
Parish Council meeting on the 11th December at 9pm
Holwell Parish Council are holding an Extraordinary Parish Council meeting at the Holwell Village Hall on Tuesday 11th December, starting at 9pm to review the Examiners Final report on the Neighbourhood Plan, to accept the amendments, and to recommend acceptance to forward to WDDC prior to Referendum. This is an open meeting so residents are welcome to attend.
Neighbourhood Plan Examination
An independent examiner Mr Andy Mead was appointed after the decision to submit the Neighbourhood Plan for examination.
Following the submission of the Holwell Neighbourhood Plan for examination, the examiner wrote to WDDC and Holwell Parish Council on the 26 October 2018 to clarify several initial procedural matters.
As part of his examination of the plan, the independent examiner has to consider whether the plan meets certain basic conditions and satisfies legal requirements.
The basic conditions are set out in the legislation, and are intended to ensure that neighbourhood plans fit within their wider context. The plan must:
- have regard to national planning policies and guidance
- contribute to achieving sustainable development
- be in general conformity with the strategic policies of the development plan i.e. the West Dorset, Weymouth & Portland Adopted Local Plan
- be compatible with European Union law and human rights obligations
If the neighbourhood plan is approved following examination, and supported by a local referendum, it will be used to make decisions on planning applications.
The Holwell Neighbourhood Plan is available to read together with the supporting documents by clicking on the Consultation 2018 tab, or clicking here.
Holwell Parish Council wishes to maintain Holwell Parish as a thriving rural community and to ensure its long-term future by working towards meeting the needs of those who wish to live and work in this community. A Neighbourhood Plan gives local people a genuine opportunity to be part of a community that will guide the future development, regeneration and conservation of their area by preparing a plan under the control and guidance of Holwell Parish Council.
It is a plan that the community of Holwell Parish produce and vote on that will give residents the opportunity to influence the future of the area through having a say into future development, regeneration and conservation. If it is adopted, then it becomes part of the Planning Policy for our parish.
The Parish Council set up a working group in 2013 who undertook some initial work on the Plan. However, this plan must be one that the community of Holwell produce and vote on, giving residents the opportunity to influence the future of the area. It can cover a broad agenda or just focus on a few key issues that concern the population of Holwell.
To maintain Holwell Parish as a thriving rural community and to ensure its long-term future by working towards meeting the needs of those who wish to live and work in this community
- To meet diverse local housing needs taking into account changing demographics and social requirements.
- To keep housing development to an agreed scale, of good quality and design, making use of materials that are appropriate, sustainable and complementary to neighbouring properties.
- To support existing business, encourage new enterprises and facilities which will enhance commercial effectiveness and employment opportunities.
- To preserve the long-term future of the area by retaining and, if possible, enhancing local services, infrastructure and facilities, promoting a safe and healthy community.
- To protect and enhance the natural, agricultural and built environment of the Parish including its landscape, built heritage, archaeological sites and wildlife habitats.
- To reduce vulnerability to the impact of severe weather i.e. flooding, etc